Last week after salah Isha, Sheikh was talking about the story of Abu Lahab. Sheikh said that Allah subhana wa ta'aala has the power of everything in this world. Allah subhana wa ta'ala has control in everything He had created.
There is a chapter in the Al-Qur’an called surah Al-Lahab (chapter# 111) named after Abu Lahab. This chapter explained that Abu Lahab and his wife will perish in the hell fire – implying he will never become a Muslim and therefore will enter the hell fire.
Surah 115 (1-5): The Masad (Lahab)
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
(1)تَبَّتْ يَدَا أَبِي لَهَبٍ وَتَبَّ
(2)مَاأَغْنَى عَنْهُ مَالُهُ وَمَا كَسَبَ
(3) سَيَصْلَى نَارًا ذَاتَ لَهَبٍ
(4)وَامْرَأَتُهُ حَمَّالَةَ الْحَطَبِ
(5)فِي جِيدِهَا حَبْلٌ مِّن مَّسَدٍ
In The Name of Allah, The Beneficent, The Merciful
1. May the hands of Abu Lahab perish, may he (himself) perish.
2. His wealth avails him not, neither what he had earned.
3. Soon will he roast in a flaming fire,
4. And his wife, the bearer of the firewood,
5. Upon her neck a rope of twisted palm-fibre.
This Surah was revealed 10 years before Abu Lahab died as an unbeliever. Many of Abu Lahab’s friends and other disbelievers accepted Islam in the span of 10 years since this surah was revealed.
Who is Abu Lahab?
- Abu Lahab is the Prophet's uncle and the son of Abdul Muttalib. Among those people he was one of the strongest enemies of Islam.
- Abu Lahab is the Father of the Flames, whose name was 'Abdul-'Uzza and means the servant of the idol 'Uzza, was a man of fiery temperament with a reddish face. This nickname, perhaps, was chosen for him, because, 'lahab', in Arabic, means 'a flame of fire'.
- He and his wife, Umm-i-Jamil; a sister of Abu Sufyan, being specifically mentioned as the cursed ones among the enemies of Islam, hurt the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) very much.
A person by the name of 'Tariq Muharibi' says that once Abu Labab was found going behind the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) passing through the marketplace called 'Zul-Mujaz'(it is close to 'Arafat, a short distance from Mecca). He was following behind the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wassalam) shouting was a mad man and pelting his feet with stones, causing the Prophet (salllallahu alayhi wasallam) to walk with bleeding wounds.
- Abu Lahab was a rich, proud man who boasted about his wealth and used it against Islam.
- It is narrated that after the defeat of the Meccans at Badr, Abu Lahab, who had not participated in the battle, asked Abu Sufyan, when he returned from the battlefield, about its details. Abu Sufyan described to him the event of how the Quraish were defeated and, then, he added: By Allah, we saw, in the course of battle, some riders between the earth and heaven who had come to help Prophet Muhammad sallallahu alayhi wa sallam.
Here, Abu Rafi', one of the servants of Abbas tells the story thus: I was sitting there and I raised my hand and said that they were the angels of Heaven. Then, Abu Lahab became so angry that he sharply struck my face and lifted me up and I fell hard upon the ground.
He continued beating me because of his grief from his disappointment. At that moment, Ummul-Fadl, Abbass' wife, who was attending there, took a stake and struck it hard on Abu Lahab's head, and said: 'Have you found this weak man alone?'.
The head of Abu Lahab became wounded and bloody. One week later he died from a contagious disease and since his body gave off an unbearable, foul smell no one approached it. It was left for three days and, at last some slaves were hired to carry it out of Mecca. They watered it from a distance and then piled stones on top of it until it was buried.
The Destiny of Umm Jamil, the Wife of Abu Lahab.
- His wife was among the leading women of the Quraysh and she was known as Umm Jamil. Her name was `Arwah bint Harb bin Umayyah and she was the sister of Abu Sufyan. She was supportive of her husband in his disbelief, rejection and obstinacy. Therefore, she will be helping to administer his punishment in the fire of Hell on the Day of Judgment.
Allah says in the Qur'an that:
"And his wife, the bearer of the firewood,
Upon her neck a rope of twisted palm-fibre (Masad)."
It means she will carry the firewood and throw it upon her husband to increase that which he is in (of torment), and she will be ready and prepared to do so.
- Story of Abu Lahab's Wife harming the Messenger of Allah Ibn Abi Hatim said that his father and Abu Zur`ah both said that `Abdullah bin Az-Zubayr Al-Humaydi told them that Sufyan informed them that Al-Walid bin Kathir related from Ibn Tadrus that Asma' bint Abi Bakr said, "When (Perish the two hands of Abu Lahab and perish he)!) was revealed, the one-eyed Umm Jamil bint Harb came out wailing, and she had a stone in her hand. She was saying, `He criticizes our father, and his religion is our scorn, and his command is to disobey us.' The Messenger of Allah was sitting in the Masjid (of the Ka`bah) and Abu Bakr was with him. When Abu Bakr saw her he said, `O Messenger of Allah! She is coming and I fear that she will see you.' The Messenger of Allah replied,(Verily, she will not see me.) Then he recited some of the Qur'an as a protection for himself. This is as Allah says,(And when you recite the Qur'an, We put between you and those who believe not in the Hereafter, aninvisible veil.) (17:45) So she advanced until she was standing in front of Abu Bakr and she did not see the Messenger of Allah. She then said, `O Abu Bakr! Verily, I have been informed that your friend is making defamatory poetry about me.' Abu Bakr replied, `Nay! By the Lord of this House (the Ka`bah) he is not defaming you.' So she turned away saying, `Indeed the Quraysh know that I am the daughter of their leader.''' Al-Walid or another person said in a different version of this Hadith, "So Umm Jamil stumbled over her waist gown while she was making circuits (Tawaf) around the House (the Ka`bah) and she said, `Cursed be the reviler.' Then Umm Hakim bint `Abdul-Muttalib said, `I am a chaste woman so I will not speak abusively and I am refined so I do not know. Both of us are children of the same uncle. And after all the Quraysh know best.'' This is the end of the Tafsir of this Surah, and all praise and blessings are due to Allah.
The kids said that, insha Allah, we will not going to see alot of "Abu Lahab" in this world. I hope not but we knew that the syaitaan are still alive around us and are trying to get us to the hellfire. We should always seek refugee from Allah subhana wa ta'ala to save us from the evil behaviour by:
- doing our salah five time daily on times,
- fasting in Ramadan,
- reciting and memorizing Al-Qur'an,
- listening and respecting to parent or old people,
- be good to all muslim and non muslim,
- giving sadaqah or charity,
- helping others,
- and others good deeds.
May Allah protect and guide us in the right path. Ameen.
Activities for kids:
- Memorize Al Qur'an surah 111: surah Al-Lahab
- Learn about dangerous diseases.
My kids were asking me what kind of disease that Abu Lahab's had?
They thought that it was very scary disease. The kids said it could be because Abu Lahab had diabeties and his wounded never got recovery.
I told the kids to learn more about diseases. Because there will be more diseases coming in this world before the Day of Judgement. We have to take care of our body to be healthy so we can pray and do more ibadaah.
You can also read on and share this news about Salmonella in Crackers.
Please share your story with us in the group.
We love to hear the Islamic story.