The Etiquettes in Eating and Drinking
Let's teach our kids about etiquettes in eating and drinking from some of the sunnah of Prophet Muhammad sallalahu alayhi wa salam :
- Wash our hands.
- Recite doa before and after eating and drinking.
Abu Sa'eed Khudari Radiyallahu 'Anhu says: "After eating Rasulullah Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam read this du'aa: "Alhamdulillaahil-ladhi at-amanaa wa-saqaa-naa wa-ja-a-lanaa muslimeen." (Imaam Tirmidhi: 182 Hadiths Number 4 )
Translation: Praise be to Allah who fed us, and gave us drink and made us muslims".
Aayeshah radiyallahu 'Anha says: "Rasulullah Sallallahli 'Alayi Wasallam said: 'When one eats and has forgotten to recite 'Bismillah', then when one remembers while eating, one should recite 'Bismillahi awwalahu wa aa-khirahu' ". (Imaam Tirmidhi: 180 Hadiths Number 2)
- Always use right hand to eat and drink.
Umar bin Abi Salamah Radiyallahu 'Anbu came to Rasululah Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam while food had been served to him. Rasulullah Saliallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam said: "O my Son come near, recite Bismillah, and eat with your right hand from that portion which is in front of you". (Imaam Tirmidhi: 181 Hadiths Number 3)
Favorite Foods of Prophet Muhammad sallalahu alayhi wasalam
This is the list of 12 Foods of Prophet Muhammad salllalahu alayhi wa salam:
- Barley: Good in fever, while use in a soup form.
- Dates: The Prophet sallalahu alayhi wasalam said that a house without dates has no food. It should also be eaten at the time of childbirth.
- Figs: It is a fruit from paradise and a cure for piles.
- Grapes: The Prophet sallalahu alayhi wasalam was very fond of grapes - it purifies the blood, provides vigour and health, strengthens the kidneys and clears the bowels.
- Honey: Considered the best remedy for diarrhoea when mixed in hot water. It is the food of foods, drink of drinks and drug of drugs. It is used for creating appetite, strengthening the stomach, eliminating phlegm; as a meat preservative, hair conditioner, eye soother and mouthwash. It is extremely beneficial in the morning in warm water.
- Melon: The Prophet sallalhu alayhi wasalam said: "None of your women who are pregnant and eat of water melon will fail to produce off spring that is good in countenance and good in character.'"
- Milk: The Prophet sallalahu alayhi wasalam said that milk wipes away heat from the heart just as the finger wipes away sweat from the brow. It strengthens the back, improved the brain, renews vision and drives away forgetfulness.
- Mushroom: The Prophet salallahu alayhi wasalam said that mushroom is a good cure for the eyes; it also serves as a form of birth control and arrests paralysis.
- Olive Oil: Excellent treatment for skin and hair, delays old age, and treats inflammation of the stomach.
- Pomegranate: The Prophet sallalahu alayhi wasalam said it cleanses you of Satan and evil aspirations for 40 days.
- Vinegar: A food Prophet Muhammad sallalahu alayhi wasalam used to eat with olive oil.
- Water: The Prophet salllalhu alayhi wasalam said the best drink in this world is water, when you are thirsty drink it by sips and not gulps, gulping produces sickness of the liver.
The Prophet sallalahu alayhi wasalam took great care to distribute water, particularly on journeys. On one particular journey, for instance, he stopped somewhere and asked for water from those around him. After washing his hands and face, he drank from the water, and told his companions; "pour some of its water on your faces and chests."
After drinking water, he prayed:
"All praise is due to Allah Who has made it delicious and sweet by His grace and has not made it either salty or unsavory."
Another occasion, the Prophet sallalahu alayhi wasalam said:
"Water was created pure and nothing makes it impure except that which changes its color, taste and smell."
There are categories of foods which are:
- Halaal or foods that are lawful
- Haraam or foods that are forbidden
- Mashbooh or foods that are ‘suspect’ and cover a grey area between Halaal and Haraam.
- Makrooh meaning ‘religiously discouraged’ or ‘disliked’
- and Zabiha meaning ‘slaughtered according to Islamic method’.
List of food ingredients which is Haraam/Mushbooh categories:
- Haraam (forbidden)
- Animal fat
- Animal shortening
- Collagen (pork)
- Gelatine/Kosher gelatine
- Mushbooh (grey area/suspect and so best avoided)
- Fatty acids
- Glycerol stearate
- Hydrolyzed animal protein
Useful links to learn at home:
- US FDA for Kids
- To learn more about Food Pyramid
- Prinout Food Pyramid
- Food Pyramid Games
- Quiz Printout
- Nutrition Webquest
- Cheerios Playroom
- Powerful Bones
- Fun Worksheet
- Learn How the Body Works
- Science for Kids