It was very good reminder for us to remember that we should always remember and worship Allah in this life.
The three types of calling are:
- Call for salah/prayer. It is Azaan.
- Call for hajj. You are going to perform Hajj in Mecca.
- Call to meet Allah. You are going to alam Barzah for the next life.
Azaan (The Call For Prayer)
Azaan is the first call for obligatory salah/prayer.
Azaan was practised after the migration to Madinah.
Muazzin is a person who reads the Azaan aloud before the prayer.
Azaan is recited in a loud voice by the muazzin facing the direction of the Ka'ba in the following words which are said in the order mentioned:
- 1. Allahu Akbar
"Allah is most Great" (four times).
- 2. Ash-hada al la illaha ill-Allah.
"I bear witness that there is none worthy of being worshipped except Allah." (twice).
- 3. Ash-hadu anna Muhammad-ar-rasoolallah
"I bear witness that Muhammad is the Rasul of Allah" (twice).
- 4. Hayya 'alas-Salah
"Come to Prayer" (turning the face alone to the right and saying it twice).
- 5. Hayya 'alal-falah
"Come to Success" (turning the face alone to the left and saying it twice).
- 6. Allahu Akbar
"Allah Is Most Great" (twice).
- 7. La ilaha ill-Allah
"There is no deity but Allah (once).
The following phrase is added after Item (5) in the azaan of the early morning prayer.
(5a) "As-salatu khairum minannaum"
"Prayer is better than sleep" (to be said twice).
Iqamat is the second call to prayer and is uttered immediately before the beginning of the obligatory prayer (fard). It is similar to Azaan but with the addition of the sentence, "Qad qamatis-salah" i.e., "prayer has indeed begun", to be uttered twice after item (5) above.
Some of Hadiths about Azaan
- Allah Almighty gives great reward for those who recite Azaan before the five daily prayers.
Abu Hurairah (ra) reported that the Holy Prophet said:
"If people knew the reward of making Azaan and standing in the first row of the congregation [jama’at], they would cast votes for these."
- Baraa son of Aazib (ra) reported that the Holy Prophet said:
"Surely Allah and His angels praise the first row (of congregation) and the Mu'azzin.
He is forgiven according to the loudness of his voice and every living thing whether dry or fresh that hears him confirms him and he will also get the reward like of those who pray with him."
- Uqbah son of Aamir (ra) reports that the Holy Prophet said:
"Your Allah is delighted with a shepherd grazing his sheep on a hillside and he makes the Azaan for the prayer and then prays.
Allah says: Look at this slave of mine standing in the prayer and fearful of Me. I have forgiven him and entered him into paradise."
- Abu Sa'eed Al-Khudri (ra) reported that the Holy Prophet - said,
"When you hear the call to prayer, say the same words as the Mu'azzin."
Therefore the listeners should repeat the text after the Mu'azzin has finished each sentence of the Azaan.
In reply to "Hurry to the prayer" and "hurry to the success" it is permissible to say:
لا حول ولا قوة إلا بالله
(There is no strength and no power except from Allah)
- Anas bin Maalik reported that the Holy Prophet said:
"No supplication is rejected between Azaan and Iqaamah.“
Abdullah bin Amr reported that a person asked:
"O Messenger of Allah! The Mu'azzins have become superior to us because of their Azaan.
The Holy Prophet said to him :
Say as they say and when you have finished ask and you will be granted (your desires)."
Du'a After The Azaan
"Allahuma Rabba Haazihi Da'watit Tamati Was Salaatil Qaa'imati Aati Sayyidina Muhammadinil Wasilata Wal Fadilata Wad Darajatar Rafi'ata Wab Athoo Maqaamam Mahmoodanil Lazi Wa ad'tahu War zukna Shafa'atuhu Yaumal Qiyaamati. Inaka La Tukhli ful Mi'aad."
"O Lord of this beautiful Azaan and the Salaah which will follow, give our Master Muhammad (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam's) Wasila and greatness and a very high station. And let him reach the Plain of Mahmood of which You have promised him and let us receive his Intercession on the Day of Qiyamah. Without doubt, You never go against Your Promise."
Activities for Kids
There are some of activities for kids, you can do at home, such as:
- Learn and memorize the Azaan and Iqamat.
- Memorize the doa after Azaan.
- Let's learn Geography of Muslim countries. You can start from one of Muslim countries, such as Indonesia country. You have to find what the next Muslim country will do the Azaan after that. You keep continue going around the world in 24 hours. The kids should learn the world Muslim maps by listening Azaan that was recited by the muazzin around the world.
- Go to masjid to hear the Azaan.
- Make a contest about Reciting Good Azaan in your Muslim community.
We hope that our kids learn to recite good Azaan and get ready for salah after they hear the Azaan.
For the second and the third calling, Hajj and Going to Alam Barzah, You can find it in another post. Insha Allah.
May Allah always guide us to teach our Muslim kids. Ameen.